What is IFIAD?
We are a voluntary, multi-disciplinary platform, bringing together actors from the agri-food sector to share knowledge and good practices for the benefit of agricultural development programming and policy in support of Ireland’s development objectives.
The underlying premise for establishing IFIAD was a recognised need for a more effective multi-disciplinary engagement in the area of agricultural development combined with an opportunity to better leverage Irish expertise in this area for the benefit of development programmes overseas. Capitalising on Ireland’s excellence in the agri-food sector, the Forum aims to bring together researchers, policymakers and practitioners with a view to strengthening the research-policy-practice interface and maximising the Irish contribution to agriculture-driven poverty reduction in developing countries.
Transformed livelihoods of people living in poverty in the developing world through initiatives which support resilient, equitable and sustainable agriculture, food and nutrition security.
The Forum will work towards achieving its vision via developing partnerships of excellence through the generation, sharing and application of experience, knowledge and innovation in agriculture for development.
- Identify knowledge gaps in research and agriculture for development
- Identify and disseminate demand-driven guidance on good practice
- Share and disseminate relevant findings from national and international sources
- Organize conferences, workshops, symposia on selected thematic areas
- Provide a learning platform for researchers, policy makers and practitioners alike
- Build a collaborative network of researchers interested in agricultural development in middle and low-income countries
- Enable the development of research groups that address factors that impact on the positive delivery of results in agriculture development programmes
- Commission research projects as appropriate
- Link members to capacity building opportunities in different technical areas
- Develop contributions to policy and / or technical dialogues taking place at national and international level
- Contribute to the evidence base on the best approaches to addressing agriculture-driven development
- Participate in relevant policy / best practice debates at national and international level
- Facilitate communication between members
- Develop and maintain a database of network members expertise
- Promote the Forum and its activities to agencies with an interest in agricultural development
- Facilitate the formation of long-term links between policy and research institutions in middle and low-income countries
- Engage with other networks and enter into collaborative arrangements as appropriate
Our goal is to transform the livelihoods of people living in poverty in the developing world.
Sign up below to follow our work with news and updates.